Donna Downey was in town last weekend teaching classes at EMI Scrapbooking in Cumming, GA and PaperCrafter's Corner had an opportunity to sit down for an exclusive interview with Donna!
Readers were invited to submit questions to Donna Downey to help us kick-start the interview process. Many thanks to all of you who participated! Congratulations to PCC reader Jo Gamma who won the autographed copy of Donna's book, "Fabric Scrapbooking." Jo, we'll contact you directly to make arrangements to get your prize to you … and if by chance you already purchased that very book after attending Donna's fabric scrapbooking class last week, we'll make a swap to get you a different title 🙂
So enough housekeeping… Here's the fun part!
After attending the Atlanta gift mart for several days and then teaching back-to-back classes at EMI for 10 hours, Donna very generously sat down & gave me her undivided attention for 45 minutes on Saturday night. I don't know how she had the energy to do it — I would have been wiped out!
As I mentioned in my review of her class, Donna is funny, dynamic and so very real! She doesn't consider herself to be a scrapbook "celebrity" but rather someone lucky enough to have been turned into a "personality" by the scrapbook industry itself. She believes that much of what made her who she is today was simply the fortunate timing of her entry into this crazy scrapbook world we all love so much! (I say that her artistic talent, creativity, energy, and sense of humor certainly didn't hurt 🙂
Since our "interview" turned into a gab fest, I thought it would be fun to simply share with you a list of…
10 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Donna Downey
- Donna hates the color purple.
- She's originally a Jersey girl and remembers having BIG hair with bangs sprayed straight UP in front. (She's a Southern girl now in NC.)
- Donna was a surfer in her younger days.
- Donna has 2 tattoos! One commemorates a half marathon she ran with her husband, and the other was originally a dolphin — though after 3 children Donna jokes that it's now an "orka."
- She receives 400 – 700 emails a day.
- Donna hates capital letters and avoids using them on her projects as much as possible.
- Donna considers herself a "swing crafter" and will swing back & forth between projects and work while in her studio (where she spends about 8 hours per day.)
- Donna started scrapbooking in 2000 and sold 130 layouts to scrapbook magazines that year!
- Donna was never a CK Hall of Fame scrapbooker. She entered once — the year that Ali Edwards won.
- Donna's favorite Starbucks order? No fat, no water Chai Tea Latte.
- Donna is still, after all this time, a paper product junkie who gets excited about new stuff.
Yeah, I know. I said 10 things but then I listed 11. So sue me! Which one should I have left out?
Have you enjoyed reading about Donna Downey this week? If so, take a look at Donna's blog where you can "visit" with her regularly. Donna says that she actually believes that she is talking directly to YOU and to ME when she writes her blog… so join her!
Want to see more? Stay tuned as we'll be showing some sneak peeks from Donna's CHA line very soon…